First United Methodist Church of San Diego seeks a full time Associate Director/Organist for a 2,400–member congregation with a long history of excellence in traditional worship and music.
First United Methodist Church, San Diego
The 1,000-seat Spanish neo-gothic Sanctuary, built in 1964, houses the largest pipe organ in San Diego County: a 4-manual/9 division 108-rank Blackinton and Associates Organ, built in 1989. The 100-seat Chapel, built in 2005, contains a 2-manual 14-rank Blackinton and Associates Organ, built in 2010. Other keyboard instruments include a 9’ Steinway concert grand and several other fine grand pianos.
Duties include playing organ for three almost-identical Sunday morning services in the Sanctuary and a mid-week service, accompanying the 100-voice Chancel Choir (including a professional vocal quartet and choral interns), which sings weekly at all three Sunday morning services, accompanying vocal and instrumental soloists, accompanying a 120-voice Masterwork Chorale and providing keyboard accompaniment for two large choral/orchestral concerts each year. There may be other duties assigned, based on expertise, such as developing other choirs or instrumental ensembles.
See detailed job description
The applicant should demonstrate thorough knowledge of and commitment to a broad range of traditional worship music for the organ, piano, congregational and choral singing. The person should possess excellent skills as a solo performer, accompanist, sight-reader, improviser, director, and contribute as a team member to weekly worship planning.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits (vacation, illness, health and retirement) package being offered is based on the guidelines published by the American Guild of Organists as well as the experience of the applicant.
Last day to apply: JANUARY 31, 2018
Please send the listed materials to:
Dr. Stanley M. Wicks
Director of Worship, Music and the Arts,
First United Methodist Church of San Diego
2111 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, California 92108
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- 20-30 minute YouTube.com or other online-formatted recording of an appropriate prelude, offertory, postlude for a mainline Protestant church, as well as two contrasting mainline Protestant-type hymns with improvised introductions
- Sample concert programs and worship bulletins
- Three letters of reference including one from a clergy person, one from a church music colleague and one from a personal friend
- A statement of your philosophy of the role of a church musician/organist
- A statement of your personal faith journey