Cherokee Point Outreach
We are committed as a church to partnering with Cherokee Point Elementary School to facilitate positive and lasting change in the lives of children and families living in poverty. You are invited to discover how God might be calling you to reach out in service to a child, parent, or family at the school. Below please find a list of the many different opportunities.
Everyone A Reader (Monday–Friday, any time during school hours)
- This is an opportunity to read with children individually and help them grow in confidence and skill.
Volunteers will read with four children per hour. Trainings regularly available. See scheduled classes.
Academic Saturday School (Saturdays, 8 AM–12 PM)
- Serve as a volunteer tutor to assist the classroom teacher.
Pathways—Adults (Fridays, 8–10 AM)
- An adult program taught in Spanish. Parenting skills and various other topics are discussed. Spanish-speaking volunteers are needed.
Computer Lab—Adults (Wednesdays and Fridays, 8–11 AM)
- Assist the computer class teacher by giving individual help to the parents in this class.
Volunteers need the ability to teach by example on the computer. You may choose either day, and stay for the whole time slot or for an hour. Bi-lingual is helpful, but not required.
English Language Development Classes—Adults (Monday and Thursday, 8–11 AM)
- Conversation in English with parents learning English as a second language.
Volunteers may choose to help part of the time or during the whole session and will be asked to carry on conversations in English around a given topic (no Spanish skills required).
How Do I Get Started?
To begin serving at Cherokee Point Elementary School you need to:
- Fill out a volunteer form
- Acquire a proof of current TB-test
- Submit to Brenda Blake, Director of Church and Community
Learn more about Cherokee Point Elementary School
The programs listed above are all active while school is in session. See the school’s calendar
Director of Church and Community Work
(619) 297-4366 x125
Rev. Jessica Strysko
Pastor of Missions and Family Ministry