Job Openings at First Church
CHILDREN’S/YOUTH CHOIR DIRECTOR
First United Methodist Church of San Diego
2111 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108
Position available: September 2015
Salary range: $15,000-18,000 (based on education/experience)
Application deadline: Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Hours per week: 16
- Hold weekly rehearsals of the Carol (Kindergarten through 3rd grade), Altar (4th through 7th grade) and Chapel Choirs (8th grade through college) from September through Mother’s Day.
- Direct choirs when they sing in worship (each of the choirs sings approximately once every 4-6 weeks; sometimes separately, sometimes combined.
- Plan and implement special programs such as Christmas Pageant and/or Spring musical or concerts.
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with our Associate Director of Sanctuary Music/Organist, a short-term opportunity for our children and youth in the area of instrumental music (choir chimes, handbells, instrumental ensemble) that would take place from the week at the end of our annual children's and youth choir season (after Mother's Day through the end of June.
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with our Associate Director of Sanctuary Music/Organist, a one-week summer music camp.
- Coordinate the anthem schedule for Sunday mornings with Minister of Music.
- Supervise the children’s choir accompanist.
- Recruit choir members.
- Recruit parent helpers and maintain effective communication with parents.
- Maintain children’s choir library.
- Order music supplies and music.
- Work with Director of Children’s Education to secure music leadership for Vacation Bible School.
- Design necessary forms for recruitment, attendance, schedules, etc.
- Hold short-term opportunities for pre-school aged children (Cherub Choir).
- Find substitute when ill or absent.
- Attend continuing education events to maintain professional skills.
- Coordinate calendar with Directors of Children and Youth Ministries.
Please submit the following to Dr. Stanley M. Wicks, Director of Sanctuary Worship email@example.com no later than Tuesday, June 30, 2015:
- Your resume/curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference: clergy person, music colleague, personal friend.
- Statement of philosophy of church music as it relates to children’s/youth choirs
- Statement of personal faith journey.
- Other materials such as worship bulletins showing children’s/youth choir, anthems, concerts, dramatic productions, recordings, etc.
The First United Methodist Church is a 2,700-member congregation in the heart of San Diego’s Mission Valley. It’s ministry, since 1869, reaches people of all backgrounds throughout the San Diego region.